Thursday, February 23, 2017

The Last Week Of The Month And Money Is Tight

When a person is on a fixed income, as I currently am, every purchase has to be carefully considered. I make it a point to pay all of my bills promptly on the 3rd of the month. After that, there's not a lot of money left over. It's usually enough, but there's not much of a margin for error when I decide what to buy.

Last month was a little easier because I received a $35 HEAP payment. And this month is also easier because it's the shortest month of the year. After spending $8 today, I have $17 left in my checking account. That amount would be larger but I had to buy a new computer mouse, a new mouse pad, and a new of slippers. With sales tax, that's just over $22 I spent on the three items.

I've talked a little bit before about being grateful for a couple of stores where I can get some really good bargains. The bodega up the street is always a nice place if I want an inexpensive snack. I can get an oatmeal cookie and a soda for $1.25, which is really nice.

I also really am grateful for the Dollar General store that's a few blocks from here.

Today, for instance, I got a national brand of pasta sauce for $2 and anywhere else locally, it's priced anywhere from $3 to $3.50. Add in some green beans and I have a decent meal that's about as inexpensive as a good meal can be.

Let's be honest, shall we? Most people in this country do not have enough cash to do everything they want to. Far too many of us have too little money to take care of the things we need to.

We recently had two more chain restaurants come to this area, and I applied online to both of them. I don't know the numbers for the first, but I saw the manager of the second being interviewed on local news.

He said that for 88 positions, they received 700 applications.

Think that over, for a minute.

I'm sure this area isn't the only one where those kinds of numbers come into play.

Someone very close to me has offered very kindly to help me with moving expenses and so, within the next few months, I will be leaving my hometown area yet again.

This time, I don't see myself ever coming back.


No comments:

Post a Comment