Saturday, May 12, 2018

It's Been Almost One Month Since My Last Post

I've been very busy, and haven't had time to post anything here. Also, I was off line for awhile because my modem stopped working and had to be repaired. I've been good, for the most part. Work has been good, though challenging at times.

The two weeks I worked with Lauren on the other side, learning as much as I could about food service for the day care program, went well. This young lady is very good at what she does, turning out restaurant quality food under less than ideal working conditions. Depending on what the meal is (breakfast, lunch or snack), there are either four or five rooms that get served. I've had the chance to taste almost everything Lauren cooks and every single thing has been delicious.

Once I was back on the cafe side, it took me a few days to get back into my routine. Mike and I make a good team. He handles most of the cooking, which is fine, because he's been doing it for forty years. I take the orders, cash people out, keep the tables clean, sweep the floor, and handle a few other things along the way as well. Mike does let me handle a few things in food prep. I've made cocktail sauce (for which Mike let me use my recipe and liked it enough to have me use it again). I've made honey mustard sauce people liked, and Thousand Island dressing that came out well. My spicy tartar sauce comes out well, also.

Friday was challenging because Mike had to fly out of state for a family emergency. I got the call that I needed to open and I was on my feet for almost eight and a half hours. I was under strict orders to keep the grill turned off. So, a lot of people were upset because that meant no eggs for breakfast, nor home fries. No burgers for lunch, either. One regular customer was so rude as to curse at me. Another decided to leave without paying and when I went after him, got on his bicycle and rode away.

If Mike's not back by Monday, I'll have to put in the full day again. I'm not 100% comfortable with the idea of that, but I'll show up on time and do my best, just as I did on Friday.

Lauren always helps me out whenever she can and I help her as well, when I can. Some times she gets really behind on dishes, so I hustle to get them caught up while she's on her lunch break. Or if someone orders a milk shake, she'll do make it for us and I'll take over what she's working on for a few minutes if she needs me to do that.

Six weeks in, I really have no complaints about the job. Plus, we got a perfect score on our inspection by the Health Department. I know that some of the really hard work I did cleaning things contributed to that and I feel good about it.

Wishing you well, dear reader.


No comments:

Post a Comment