Saturday, October 8, 2016

Donald Trump Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen

Let me begin by saying that I don't enjoy writing posts like this one. I'd much rather talk about music, or film, or my "retro" life style or any other number of pleasant subjects.

It's just that there are times when certain things have to be said. This is one of those times.

Last night, I got back home at 7:30 after having spent a couple of pleasant hours with my mother. I did a little bit of cleaning and straightening a few things up and turned the television on a little before 8 to watch the nightly lineup of shows on MSNBC.

I came in in the middle of the video millions of us have seen now. Video footage shot in 2005 for the show "Access Hollywood". Footage in which Donald Trump, the Republican nominee for President of the United States, says things that make my skin crawl.

In an effort to keep this clean, I'll recap simply by saying that Trump, in the video, admits to trying to get a married woman into bed at a time he was still a newlywed with his current, third wife. He brags about having the power to do anything he wants to. And near the end, he makes an extremely lewd comment about sexually assaulting women.

I will give credit where credit is due. Several key GOP figures, including 2012 presidential nominee Mitt Romney, wasted no time in making strong and very well worded comments condemning the words and actions shown in the video. Speaker of the House Paul Ryan quickly acted and acted honorably to dis-invite Trump to a public appearance the two were scheduled to make together today.

However, to no one's surprise, there are those on the political right who are finding it in themselves to defend Donald Trump. Most notably, Michele Bachmann has gone on the record as stating that this is a coordinated attack by the Clinton campaign. Bachmann, of course, is a former member of Congress who made a brief run for the presidential nomination in 2012.

Let's be honest. There are millions of men across the U.S.A. who say the same kinds of things in locker rooms and in board rooms and goodness knows where else. But none of them are a major party nominee for President. None of them are in a position where they could conceivably have the power of the presidency to carry out whatever depraved actions they dredge up from the sickest part of their souls.

That's strong language, I know. I believe 100% I'm justified in using it.

If you can be aware of every disgusting thing this man has said, and still insist on pulling a lever or checking a box to cast your vote for him, shame on you. You're trying to put a depraved, racist, misogynist, xenophobic madman in the White House. I'm stating here and now, for the record, that if Donald Trump is elected, I believe the United States of America will suffer some sort of catastrophic event that will most probably be self-inflicted.

On an unrelated note, my best hopes go to anyone who is in the path of Hurricane Matthew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment