Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Fifty Years Of Memories- Part 1

Something that I try very hard to convey to my friends who are in their early to mid twenties is that as you grow older, you make more memories. And I have so many to share, so here are a few of them.

When my wife was still alive, every Sunday she would watch a Mass on television while I sat in the kitchen reading the newspaper. Afterwards, I would make doughnuts for breakfast along with freshly brewed coffee. Now, I don't drink coffee a lot, but years of working in restaurants allowed me to get really good at it. Those Sunday breakfasts are something I miss a lot.

For reasons I didn't understand then but do now, my father refused to let us have a telephone in the house when I was growing up. So, for me, the only time I got to talk to my friends on the phone was if I had a dime and we were somewhere close to a pay phone. Thus, something almost everyone else took for granted was, for me, something special.

The three best pizzas I've ever had in my life came from three very different places in three very different locations. The first was at Mystic Pizza in Mystic, Connecticut and the pizza was so very good; the sauce really is what makes it special. The second was a traditional Pizza Margherita from Pizzeria Delfina in San Francisco. From the time I paid and walked out with it to the time I bit into a slice at home was seven minutes, which was just right. And, the third was from right up the street from where I then lived and now live again. Again, this was a traditional pizza much like one might get in Italy, and from the smell alone, I could tell it was going to be delicious, which it was. The name of the place is Original Italian, and they also make the very best submarine sandwiches I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment