Sunday, December 11, 2016

Some More Thoughts On The "Retro" Lifestyle

Hello, again, everyone. Last night I was thinking about what to post here and I decided to talk some more about the "retro" lifestyle I've adopted.

Living in such a way has really changed my life, for the better. I'm much more relaxed and calm. Living such a lifestyle requires doing some things that some people will never be able to do.

As I've said here before, I do own a cell phone, but I use it just to make calls and to text when that is the method preferred by whomever it is I need or want to contact. I will never own a smart phone. I see all kinds of wonderful apps sometimes and do, at times, think they must be so cool to use.

But in the end, they're just not worth the time or money that buying and learning how to use a smart phone would involve for me.

If someone were to ask me for some basic concepts of this way of living, I would offer that person these five ideas as a starting point.

1- Turn your cell phone off when you go to bed, unless you do something that requires around-the-clock availability. Turn it off when eating, as well, if you can.

2- However much time you spend on your computer for things that aren't related to work, cut it by one-third. Use the extra time to do whatever makes you a better person. Read a book (I've read three novels this week). Listen to music without any distractions. Take a walk. Write a letter to someone who you haven't reached out to recently. These are things that will make you feel more alive and more connected to your fellow man.

3- Whatever kind of movies you enjoy, there are a lot of worthwhile ones from the past. A great starting point is the list of great films compiled by the late, great, Roger Ebert that is on Netflix. You can have one disc at a time at home for just $7.99, or for $4 more, you can have two discs at a time. That's less than the cost of seeing a single new release in many cities.

4- When you do spend time on the computer, make it time well spent. Read articles from reliable sources about current events. Join a forum that caters to some interest you have. Play a game that's silly but fun.

5- Find a social group or organization that does something you enjoy doing, or think you might enjoy. If there's nothing like it in your area, start one.  

I've said it here before and I'll say it again. The way I live is not 100% authentic to the 1970s. But it's about 90% of the way there. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary. You may want to go only half way. Or you might go all the way. You might try this and wind up realizing it's not for you. Or, it might be one of the best things you ever do.

As always, I thank you for your time and attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment