Monday, December 19, 2016

Some Things I Miss And Some I'm Glad Are Still Around

One of the things that can happen to someone when they get to be my age (50) is that he or she starts to realize how much has changed and also, to appreciate some of the things that are still pretty much the same.

I miss pay phones. They were simple to use and you could find at least one in every single town and city across the country. I understand why there are so few of them left (they usually cost more money to operate and maintain then they return in revenue) but that doesn't change the fact that I miss them.

I miss the original menu at Wendy's. The first time my family ever ate at one, all they offered were hamburgers, french fries, chili  and the chocolate Frosty. It was a simple menu and the food was really good.

I miss taco flavored  Doritos.  They are still being produced after having been off the market for several years, but they are no longer sold in my area. I just checked, and a single bag 10-ounce bag from re-sellers on Amazon is selling anywhere from $10 to $20. If I had that kind of money to spend, I'd do it without thinking twice.

I am grateful that Brozzetti's Pizza is still in business. Founded in 1949, it has just one location. It is strictly take out. No credit cards are accepted, nor are checks.  It has been run by the same family for sixty-seven years, and the pizza tastes exactly the same as it did the first time I had it over forty years ago. They still use the original recipe and the original oven.

I am grateful for the public library in Johnson City, New York, which has been in the same building for more than 100 years. The wicker chairs in the area where the magazines are displayed have been there since 1912 and they are very comfortable to sit on.

Thank you for reading. I plan on making at least one more post before Christmas, but in case you don't read it, let me wish you a Merry Christmas at this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment