Saturday, November 11, 2017

1977 In Review

I'm sorry it took so long to get this new post up, but I've been sick the last few days. I'm feeling better today, and so, as promised, here is the new post.

"My 1977"

1977 was the year in which I:

1. Learned how to play the French horn.

2. Saw the movie "Star Wars" at the V Drive-In with my mom, dad, and brother. I liked it, but it didn't do anything special for me. My mom, on the other hand, loved it and has seen every film in the series.

3. Was able to see the late Gene Roddenberry on tour with what he called "The World Of Star Trek". This was amazing, as Roddenberry screened the blooper reels from all three seasons of the show along with the rejected first pilot "The Cage".

4. Heard the song "The Things We Do For Love" when it was released as a single. I was in the office of the gas station that was across the road from the trailer park we lived in. The guys that ran the place were always nice enough to let me come into the office to buy a candy bar or to use the pay telephone. This record came on over the radio while I was getting a candy bar from the vending machine.

5. Was admitted to the hospital for the first, and so far, only time in my life. I was eleven years old and absolutely terrified, because at first, no one could determine just what was making me so ill.

6. Was allowed to have a television set in my room. My mom gave me the 12-inch black and white set that she had been using in our kitchen up to that point in time.

7. Kissed a girl for the first time. She was the younger sister of a kid I met whose family was part of a traveling carnival. He was my age and she was nine. We actually kept in touch by mail for several months, but one day, a letter to them came back to me as not able to be delivered.

8. Won $40 by having my dad place bets on horse races for me one night. My mom has no objections to gambling, but was upset, because, after all, I was only eleven years old.

9.  Went roller skating with some friends on my birthday.

10. Got a super ball from a vending machine that was made of clear plastic that had a miniature baseball card in it. The card was one for Nolan Ryan, who was one of my favorite players.

All that was forty years ago, now. Most of it I remember accurately on my own, but my Mom did verify a few things for me.

In other news, my Mom is out of the hospital but her condition is such that she now needs to use a breathing machine at all times. She is trying to quit smoking and any good thoughts or prayers you can generously offer would be nice.



No comments:

Post a Comment