Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Dinner #2

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day and here at the Y.M.C.A. there are a lot of guys who have nowhere to go. That includes myself, as there is no B.C. Transit service tomorrow. I have enough money to eat out, but the weather forecast doesn't look good and I dislike walking in bad weather.

I've asked for and received permission to put on a small dinner tomorrow. The turkey is being provided for me, but I'm paying for everything else. I can feed about fifteen to twenty people, and the total bill for all of it is somewhere around $50. For someone on a fixed income, such as myself, that's a fairly large amount of money.

I consider it money well spent, for a few reasons. One being that the housing program here has done a lot for me, and I want to give something back. Another being that it's another thing I can list as an event I've catered when dealing with potential clients as I have started a catering business. And most importantly of all, I'll be feeding some guys for whom it will be their only meal of the day. The program here does have donated food, which any of us can get once a week on Fridays, but that's not a long term solution for anyone.

What I'm doing is not a long term solution either, but it's something that will help a little, at least.

To you dear reader, I offer my best wishes for a good day tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment