Friday, April 17, 2020

More Thoughts On Our Current Crisis

As we continue to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic, a few things have become clear to me.

The federal government failed to act in a timely fashion because Donald Trump ignored
the warnings he was given. As the death toll mounts, let us keep that in mind.

The American economy is taking a hard hit and a full recovery will neither be easily accomplished
nor happen quickly. Though neither has been officially declared, I consider the economy to be in recession and headed for a depression.

For as bad as things are, they'd be much worse if not for the stimulus checks and enhanced unemployment benefits. I will state, for the record, that I have received my $1200 payment. I will also state, again, for the record, that I am currently receiving unemployment benefits.

State and local governments have been starved for cash for decades. Now, when their actions are needed desperately, they simply can't get the job done.  I applied for SNAP benefits fifteen days ago.

Broome County Department of Social Services finally mailed paperwork to me two days ago that I received yesterday. It was the landlord form and nothing else. So, once they get that back, I'm looking at another week at least, to have a decision made on my application.

By that time, I'll quite possibly have enough cash coming in that I won't qualify for benefits. But in the meanwhile, those benefits would have helped me out a lot had I received them. I've had to apply for benefits a few times over the years, and the entire process never took more than three days.

I'm sure that the people who work for the DSS are doing the best they can. It's not their fault that
the number of applications has far outpaced their capabilities.

I'm just relieved that I am in good financial shape and will be for the next few months, at least.

And to you, dear reader, I wish safety and happiness.



No comments:

Post a Comment