Friday, July 27, 2018

Kevin, The Short Order Cook - Let's Talk About This.

I'd like to talk about my job in this post. I put in several extra hours at work when I filled in for Mike for 1/2 a day yesterday and for Lauren all day today. I worked hard but efficiently. I honestly think Mike's still a little bit thrown off by the way I do things, because his style and my style are very different.

Mike, I think, sees things like doing dishes as a task to be accomplished, and nothing more. I, on the other hand, get a sense of satisfaction from completing even the smallest of tasks. Also, and I'm the first to admit this, I'm quirky. As I often phrase it, "take normal and twist it just a little".  I've spent a life time watching other people react to me in different ways. Sometimes, people just don't "get" me, and for various reasons, can't or won't make the effort to attempt doing so.

I understand that, I really do. It's a personality thing (I hesitate to use the word conflict). But four months into this job there are still times he acts as though he expects me to screw up the simplest thing. That bothers me, because I'm improving every week, bit by bit, and also because I've stepped up in a big way more than once.

Lauren's way of doing things is a bit different from mine as well, but she usually makes the effort to understand why I do things the way I do them. As far as she's concerned, it's results that count. If the food is up to her standards, and is served properly as well as on time, she won't second guess how that was accomplished (presuming standards of sanitation and safety are adhered to).

If I had to sum things up in one sentence, my next sentence would be it. Mike is a co-worker I get along with okay, but Lauren is someone I'd gladly work for, or have work for me.

Now, let me put together a list of some other things I'd like to discuss briefly.

The Bad

1. Mike often talks about fellow employees behind their backs. Honestly, when I hear what's said about some people, I really have to wonder what's being said about me when I'm not around.

2. Mike views his job as being the cook and nothing else. On days when I've worked with or filled in for Lauren, he has allowed tables to get really dirty. It's a small cafe, people. Five tables and a small lunch counter. I can normally get them cleaned and sanitized in about two to three minutes. He also gets upset when I clean them, because strictly speaking, that's not my responsibility on such days.

But, is it really that big of a deal? The thing about the food service side of things is that when you're busy, you really are. And when there's nothing to do, there really is nothing.  Today I actually laughed out loud when I was able to sneak in doing the tables while Mike went to use the men's room.

The Good

1. We got a perfect score on our annual inspection by the county Health Department. Mike and Lauren both thanked me for the hard work I did when doing extra cleaning to be ready for the inspection.

2. Most of our customers take it for granted that they're going to get a good meal at a reasonable
price. Which is fine, because that's how things usually are. But every now and then, someone will really show appreciation. If someone complements me on the food I cooked for them, or if a fellow employee thanks me for taking the time to bring their food to them, that's a nice thing.

3. Doing the food service for the day care program is a real challenge. It's one that, honestly, I wasn't sure I was up to. In the three days that I've filled in for Lauren, I'd grade myself at 80, 85, and 90 (basing that off what she does being 100). And when the little kids smile and thank me for bringing them food, it's a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment