Sunday, October 30, 2016

Listening Experience #2

A little background is called for here. Julie London was an actress and singer who was one of the co-stars of the television series "Emergency". Her second husband, Bobby Troup, also had a lead role on the show.

In 1958, she recorded an album that was titled "London By Night". I own this album in its original mono mix (a stereo mix was also done, which I am not familiar with). The album was done for Liberty Records. Liberty was a really interesting independent label that released a lot of very good music. The album was produced by Troup, who also wrote some of the songs for it.

This album is lush and warm and wonderful. For this experience, I listened to it with the lights in my apartment turned down. I also was sipping scotch and water and seated in a comfortable chair. The album is sung from the point of view of a woman who finds and then loses a love. The orchestration by the Pete King Orchestra is very good. I do not know who arranged the musical charts for this, but whoever it was, he or she did some fine work.

The album clocks in at just under thirty-two minutes and for the whole time it played, I was very relaxed. The low lighting, the good scotch, and the fine music all combined to make for a very nice experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment