Tuesday, October 18, 2016

When The Water Doesn't Flow

Well, I had a nice post all ready to go, about all the celebrities I've met over the years. I've been fortunate to encounter several who were genuinely nice to me. I'll post that later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Because right now, I want to talk about something more important, namely, the sad state of this country's infrastructure.

Earlier tonight, I took a nap from six o'clock until 8:30. When I woke up, I went to take a shower only to find that there was no water. I called the building manager who informed me that he had called the village water department and informed that the entire system was down. A major break in a water line happened and had to be fixed, then water pressure had to build back up again. As of 10:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time we do have full pressure but the water is coming out very dirty. Hopefully that will clear up soon.

I have friends who work for the village I live in. I know that the men and women who serve us do their best day in and day out. But when someone is dealing with a system that needs replacing, it has to be frustrating.

I very rarely use the phrase "You own this" but you know what?

We own this. We the people, for a combination of different reasons, have allowed governments at all levels to stop investing in our infrastructure at the level we need. As a result, we have unsafe roads, unsafe bridges, and dams that will collapse if not repaired and replaced where needed.

And we have water mains that break when they shouldn't.

It will not get any better until we demand that something be done. Demand so publicly, so insistently, and so repeatedly that we can not be ignored.

My voice is just one voice, but first thing tomorrow, I will start raising it. A few hours with no running water is an inconvenience. A collapsed bridge or failed dam is far more serious.



No comments:

Post a Comment