Friday, October 14, 2016

Odds And Ends

Hello, again. I haven't posted this week because I really haven't had much to say. But, I do like to do what I can to keep things fresh, so here are a few things.

I. I've been drinking a lot of spring water this week, to which I add a lemon wedge. It's very inexpensive and very refreshing.

II. There's very little programming on network television that appeals to me these days. Most of the so-called comedies are very badly written, I feel. The writing appeals to the lowest common denominator, which has no appeal to me. And there are so many poorly written dramas, as well. So, I do want to mention the one show that's really caught my attention this season. It's "Designated Survivor" and airs on ABC Wednesday nights. The premise is that a terrorist attack kills the President, Vice-President and almost all of Congress.

A designated survivor is then sworn in as President. This, in real life, is a real thing. Every year when the President gives his State Of The Union address, one cabinet member is taken to an undisclosed and secured location. If an attack were to kill the President, Vice-President, Speaker of the House, and all other people who are in the line of succession, this person would indeed become President.

Is the show perfect? Not quite, at least not yet. A distracting story line about the new President's teenage son seems to have been dropped, or at least, lessened in importance. This is good. The character of the FBI agent who's leading the investigation is, to put it mildly, mostly unappealing so far. The actress'  performance in this week's episode was a bit better, thankfully. 

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate the show as a 7 so far.

III. The best thing I've had to eat this week are the submarine sandwiches I've been turning out right here at home. I use rolls that are baked just a few miles from here; the bakery that makes them also makes what was my dad's favorite pizza and has been in business for over 50 years. I've been using ham, salami and Swiss cheese for the subs, along with romaine lettuce and freshly sliced heirloom tomatoes. I finish all that off with a very good brand of sub sauce from a local deli.

Wishing everyone a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment