Sunday, November 6, 2016

12 Ounces Of Deliciousness

I'm diabetic and I really have to be careful about what I eat and drink. I try to limit myself to one soda a day. You may know, from reading an earlier post, that I avoid foods containing High Fructose Corn Syrup. As much as I would like to rave and rant about how nasty the stuff is, I won't.

What I will do is sing the praises of sodas that use sugar. These are some of my current favorites and all-time classics.

Currently Available

Coca-Cola: The best version of this that is available where I live is Mexican Coke. It's so good when ice cold. The only issue is that if a bottle sits too long on the shelf, the sugars begin to break down and create an "off" flavor. Fortunately, the store I buy it from has such a quick turnover on product I've never gotten a bad bottle.

Pepsi With Real Sugar: Good stuff. Best in 12 ounce cans, as to my taste buds, the product in glass doesn't seem quite right. I've never had it from a plastic bottle.

Pepsi With Real Sugar Vanilla: Insanely good when ice cold. I've had it in cans and plastic bottles and there's a very minor difference with the canned soda tasting just a little bit better.

Pepsi With Real Sugar Cherry: Very good ice cold. Just the right amount of cherry flavor to blend well with the cola. I've only had it in cans.

Boylan Bottling Works Ginger Ale: Most ginger ales are very dry, and not to my liking because of it. This soda is sweet but not too sweet. All the sodas from Boylan only come in glass bottles.

IBC Cream Soda: This is one of several brands owned by the Dr Pepper/Snapple Group whose formulas were changed back to using sugar earlier this year. This is a very smooth cream soda that I can best describe as almost being like liquid candy.

Jarritos Fruit Punch: Jarritos is the largest independent soft drink company in Mexico. Their fruit punch is very refreshing.

No Longer Made Or Hard To Find

Sierra Mist: Pepsico has recently replaced this with Sierra Mist Twist. I tried it and hated it. They've added real juice, which is nice, but they switched the sweetener back to HFCS. They used sugar from 2010 to 2015, and in all those years, it was the only lemon-lime soda I ever drank.

Teem:  A really good lemon-lime soda that was sold primarily from 1960 to 1984 with some soda fountains having it into the early 1990s. Replaced by Lemon Lime Slice, which in turn was itself replaced by the original version of Sierra Mist in 1999. Teem is still available in a few countries.

Royal Crown Draft Premium: This was a very short-lived version of RC Cola that was really good. The sales for it were so low the company could not afford to keep making it.

I hope you enjoyed reading this.







No comments:

Post a Comment