Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Five Television Shows I Will Watch Anytime

We live in a world where there are literally hundreds of channels to view on our television sets. There are so many shows a person can choose from. That said, I'd like to list five shows that I always watch if I see them while I'm channel surfing.

1- "The Golden Girls" - There is a reason this show is as popular as it is, even now. That reason, I think, is that it was so well written and acted as to feel like Dorothy, Sophia, Blanche and Rose were real. They were not perfect. They argued with each other, sometimes to the point of truly being downright mean to each other. But in the end, they always were there for each other.

2- "Cheers" - It's been said by many people that this was essentially a radio show transplanted to television and I agree with that. I've seen every episode, and though each season had something worthwhile about it, I feel that its first season was its finest.

3- "Friends" - Again, one of which I've seen every episode. Does it have weaknesses? Yes, it does. I never cared for how the character of Ross was gradually changed into a much less interesting and less competent person. Also, by the end, it stuffed way too many characters into the cast; I never liked the character of Phoebe's husband. That's no slam against the actor, who I like in other roles. I just feel the character was very generic, one you could drop into any one of half a dozen different other shows.

4- "Seinfeld" - Also a show for which I've seen every episode. The much maligned finale is still something I don't care for, nor is the "clip" episode they did. But for a show that did so many things right, one creative misfire and one money-saving episode are both things I can deal with.

5- "Are You Being Served?" - This classic British situation comedy underwent several cast changes through its years on the air, but even its weakest episodes are well worth the time spent watching them, as far as I'm concerned.


No comments:

Post a Comment