Monday, June 22, 2020

It Was Thirty-Six Years Ago?

Really?

It indeed was thirty-six years ago that the Class of 1984 graduated from Whitney Point High School. We all gathered together for the very last time in the school gymnasium. While we were lined up to go in, my guidance counselor went into the teacher's lounge one last time to get me a Coke from the vending machine.

To this day, I have no idea how the order in which we went up on stage was determined. A friend of mine and myself, whose last names are almost the same (Johnson and Johnston, respectively), were the last two to receive our diplomas.

Well, a cover to store it in, actually. The diplomas were all laid out on tables in the cafeteria, so we had to go back there to get them after the ceremony was concluded.

My dad, may he rest in peace, decided that if we couldn't leave early, that we'd then be the last to leave. He, my brother and I sat in our car until every other car had left the parking lot we were parked in.

That upset me a little, because I had money that my grandmother had given me as a graduation present and I wanted to stop on our way home to get a few things before the supermarket closed.
We did get there in time, so I got a pizza, soda, and whatever else was on my list.

If I recall correctly, there were 122 of us in the Class of 1984. I was not invited to any graduation parties. I did try to throw a party of my own. Two people accepted my invitation, and one of them had to cancel due to a death in the family. So my friend and I just hung out together the next night at my home.

That was, as I say, thirty-six years ago, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment