Sunday, June 7, 2020

Places I Grew Up With

One of the nice things about having spent most of my life in the same area is having places that I remember going to as a child, that are still in business.

One of those places is the Nirchi's on Court Street in Binghamton, where I got a submarine sandwich and a slice of pizza for lunch today. Several years ago (late 2013, early 2014, somewhere along in there), the building next to it was damaged severely in a fire. Nirchi's was saved, due to the hard work of local firefighters, but the building did sustain considerable smoke and water damage.

The restaurant opened in 1967 and is something of a local landmark. During the several months that it was closed for repairs and extensive remodeling, there was no place in downtown Binghamton to get pizza. When it reopened, looking better than it ever had before, long time customers such as myself were happy to see it come back.

The food I got there today was very good and reasonably priced. The young lady that waited on me was friendly and did her job very well.

A second place is somewhere I haven't been recently, but actually plan on visiting sometime this week coming up. It too, is a pizza place, but is much smaller than Nirchi's and also, much older.
Brozzetti's Pizza in Johnson City, New York opened in 1949. To this day, it's been owned by several different members of the same family. To this day, it's still cash only, and take out only.

It was the place where I would get a pizza and a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi for my late wife and I to eat while watching Sunday Night Football. I've never had a slice from there that was anything but delicious.

And yet a third restaurant is another place I've been going to for a long time. This one is a classic
burger joint named The Original Lupo's Char Pit. This is not affiliated in any way with Lupo's S&S Char Pit in Binghamton. The two restaurants were opened by two cousins, independently of each other.

The only time I ever ate at the one in Binghamton, the food was good. It was, however, expensive and the service was poor. The one in Endwell, the one I've eaten at more times than I can begin to count, has never disappointed me.

The food has never been anything but first rate, the prices have always been reasonable, and the service has always been excellent. This too, is carry out only and cash only. The space in which you stand to place your order is tiny. On a hot summer day when people don't want to cook, you can count on the line extending out the door.

According to the information on their Facebook page, the place opened in 1966. The first time I ate there, if I recall correctly, was in 1985, on a double date with my girlfriend, her cousin and her cousin's boyfriend. For several years, I lived about a half mile away from it. I could get my food and still have it be fresh when I got home with it.

For most of its history, it had no dining area of any kind, but some years ago, a permanent awning with picnic benches was erected. It's nice to be able to eat the food right there in a nicely shaded area.

I have wonderful memories associated with all three of these places and I'm so glad they're still around, and just as good as ever.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment