Saturday, June 20, 2020

This Is America 2020

America. A nation where a pandemic rages, having killed close to 120,000 people with an estimate for the end of summer of 250,000. A nation where the President defies sound medical advice and just plain common sense by staging large rallies for his reelection campaign.

A nation where armed protesters openly defying governmental orders are allowed to threaten violence against elected officials. A nation where unarmed protesters standing up for their rights are beaten, teargassed, threatened and arrested.

A nation that put men on the moon but won't spend the money needed to keep grass from growing in cracked sections of sidewalks in cities and towns across the country.

A nation that has 4% of the overall global population and 25% of its prison population.

A nation in which most of us continue to tolerate and many of us support the inhumane and evil "detention" of children in concentration camps.

A nation whose constitutionally mandated postal service is being deliberately driven into bankruptcy by powerful men and women, including the President.

A nation in which we've been told for far too long that we no longer need make sacrifices for the common good. Where has that gotten us?

A nation in which armed militias patrol town and city streets. They have taken to the streets because some media outlets and even some government officials have stirred up a panic about "Antifa" mobs coming in from out of state to burn down buildings. Of course, there have been no such attacks, anywhere.

I'm truly sorry to have to write all of this. But it's all true and if I don't share it with even just one person, then I am just as much to blame for it all as anyone else. I do what I can to fight it all, too. I sign petitions. I write to elected officials. I donate money to worthwhile charities that are doing
fine work to take things head on.

Still, I wish I could do more. I wish I could give more money. I wish I could volunteer my time (sadly, to do so would threaten my unemployment benefits here in New York). Therefore, I ask of you, dear reader, at least this one thing.

After you read what I've written, take time to consider what you can do.



No comments:

Post a Comment