Friday, July 17, 2020

The Day Before Everything Changed

The year is 1999. The date is Sunday, July 18th. I was working part-time at WBGH-TV, which at that time, was owned by our sister station in Elmira. I was a Master Control Operator, and I was very good at the job. We still dubbed all our local spots to video tape and I could get an entire day's worth of them done in a single shift.

At that time, B.C. Transit still had yet to add service on Sundays. My dad, may he rest in peace, always offered to pay for my cab ride to and from work that day. So I called the cab at my normal time, went into work and had an uneventful shift.

Sundays, after running the news at 11 p.m., from our sister station in Elmira, WBGH ran "The George Michael Sports Machine" from 11:30 till midnight. The show was always fun to watch, and easy to run. The half hour always went by pretty quickly.

What was not easy, was what I had to do when the show ended. I had to run our last local break, punch into our sister station's feed, and start taping "The People's Court" from a satellite feed.

And I had to get all three things done in just thirty seconds. Once it was done, so was my shift. I would sign off on the official log book, turn out the lights, and call the cab for my ride home.
I'd then walk out of our office, and lock the door behind me.

I usually had a short wait for the cab and that night was no different. I got home around 12:15 or so Monday morning. I ate a light meal, watched a little television, and fed my cat.

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment